Sunday 22 August 2010

GLYNDEBOURNE



When I was up filming in Bristol, I popped over to Bath on my whole one day off, to see Hannah who was staying with her parents, the amazing Jeff and Ali.  While there I spotted on the coffee table a book on Glyndebourne, which I had to look through as I have always wanted to go to see the opera there.  Well they do say if you ask and you shall receive, because it just so happened that Hannah's uncle was the head of production at Glyndebourne, and Hannah and her parents were going the next week to watch the Rake's Progress, and did I want to go with them?  You bet I do!  So off to Glynebourne we went.  There is something so English about the place: Picnics on the lawn, glasses of Pimps, strawberries and toffs; lots of toffs.  In fact its dripping in toffs.  Very old ones at that.  Some were so old I thought they might die during the performance, due to the fact that the average age seemed to 100!  It was good though, as me and Hannah never thought we would be the youngest people at an event by a mile, ever again.  The opera  itself was beautiful.  Designed by David Hockney, it was very clever.  Only one problem though!  Bloody depressing story.  Ever opera I go and see is all doom and gloom, that I feel like slitting my wrists by the end of it. I need to go and see a fun one.  I wonder if they do comedy operas?















No comments:

Post a Comment