Tuesday 17 December 2013

INDIA: A REVIEW

This is my favourite photo of all the pictures I took in India. Not because it is the best, but because nothing can beat this kids smile. Me and Lauren were buying corn on the cob off a food vendor, when a street kid came up to us jangling an empty tin cup at us. His head was shaved, his clothes were filthy and his feet were bare. Instead of ignoring him, I gave him my corn on the cob that I had just recieved and not yet eaten. I have never seen such a happy reaction from a child for something that felt so little to you or me. His smile melted my heart and I will always remember it. This is why I love this photo the most.

FAVOURITE PLACE: Varanasi or Amritsar?

WORST EXPERIENCE: Getting E Coli four hours into a 15 hour bus journey. No contest!

BEST EXPERIENCE: The Golden temple. It was certainly the most spiritual.

THE FUNNIEST THINGS:

* The dog in the Nappy!

* Lauren getting her ears repierced by an Indian family.

* Paula and the Raccoon sunburn.

* Devinda.

* Rodney and my gift of Valium!

GOOD PLACES TO STAY:

* Hotel Pearl Palace: Jaipur


* Nukkad Guest House: Udaipur

*The Oberoi: Mumbai

* Yogi's Guest House: Jodphur

THE BEST FOOD: Bengali cuisine at the Sidheshwari Ashram in Kolkata. It was also the cheapest!

EATING RECOMMENDATIONS:

* Khyber: Mumbai

* Lotus Lounge: Varanasi

* Indique: Jodphur

* Teapot: Fort Cochin

* Le Club: Pondicherry

HIGHLIGHTS:

* Watching the burning Ghats on a boat on the Ganges during sunset.

* Meeting the Indian family on the train from Kerala to Goa, even though I didn't realise it at the time.

* Visiting Dhavari.

* Taking a cycle Rickshaw in rush hour Delhi and holding on for our lives.

* Recovering from E Coli!

THINGS I HAVE LEARNT FROM THIS TRIP:
There are no easy answers in life and don't eat Indian street food! Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment