Friday 11 September 2009

FLORENCE: A ROOM WITH A VIEW?


A Room with a View is one of my favourite films. It made me fall in love with the idea of Florence and since I watched it all those years ago its been in top list of "Must do!" things for a long time time. Its funny though, how life is not like the movies! I must try, to keep remembering that. OK, on our a budget we were never going to have a view over the Duomo ( The famous Cathedral for you thick people!), but I was expecting a view of some sort, as all that faced me and Romany Liz when we arrived at our guesthouse was a white piece of perspex instead of a window and when you slid that to the side you were faced by another piece of white perspex! Not ideal and also as much as I love Romany she is no Julian sands. Luckily we got moved to a bigger apartment downstairs (ready for the arrival of the girls), which did have a view. Unfortunately it was of an ugly concrete courtyard which smelt of drains. So my romantic vision of my trip to Florence wasn't exactly how I had pictured it in my mind but Florence is still a beautiful city all the same. It does have a slight problem though: to many bloody tourists! I know I'm being a hypocrite being one myself, but honestly there everywhere, in fact it feels like there are hardly any Italians here. The main contingent being the Americans who are just everywhere, to the point that I think I got on the wrong train from Rome and ended up in the states! Then there are the sour face Germans who seem not quite satisfied with seeing some of the most amazing works of art in the world; the Japanese who seem incapable of not going round in a huge tour group like a herd of sheep; the crazy and loud Spanish and so I don't seem bias towards my race, a few English old couples scoffing around thinking their superior and more cultured than the rest. Actually I think the English got off quite well this time, as it makes a change to us getting drunk, starting a fight and shagging anything in sight.
Anna left me and Liz in Rome to go home and work, which was sad and also meant that she left two of the most immature and silly girls on the planet alone without no adult supervision! Luckily we had a spare hard peach left over from our food supply, which we have named Anna and have taken around with us, and shown all the sights too, so it kind of feels like Anna is still with us. Luckily Bec's and Debs have now joined us, but considering we are all just as silly as each other I don't think this helps. Bec's joined in the afternoon and Deb's joined after midnight and we all went out for a celebratory drink, of the girls being back together. All was going very well until Romany Liz went a funny shade of green and then her eyes rolled into the back of her head with her shaking and she then collapsed to the floor in a bar in the middle of Piazza Della Signoria. It was all very scary and we all kind of just stood there in shock while a load of Italians flooded around helping. Liz came round and then immediately started to throw up every where. Later, as I walked back from the toilet where I had left Bec's with Liz who would be there for the next half an hour throwing up her guts with the worse case of food poisoning I have ever seen in my life, I saw Debs sat at the table trying to take in everything that had happened after only just getting here. The only thing I could think to say was "Well! Welcome to Italy!" Let hope this is not the start of how it means to go on! So not room with a view! Also so you know Liz made a full recovery.





OBSERVATIONS

* Italian men pluck their eyebrows a lot and I think there is some chest waxing and under arm shaving going on too.

* Oasis are really big in Italy. I think its because they like their Alpha male ways and make the italian men feel its OK to have big eyebrows, so one day they might stop plucking them!

No comments:

Post a Comment