Saturday 26 February 2011

BOOKS & DEMONS

Never judge a book by it's cover is the saying. We do though, it's human nature. First impressions are always made and usually stuck to. I like it though, when I change my mind. It makes life more interesting. Bocas del Toro was pitched to me before I went, as this party island paradise. I admit its a hard task to live up too. So it was no wonder that my first couple of days, I felt slightly disappointed. It rained constantly, the beaches were nothing to write home about and everything seemed to shut around 9.00pm! Dull! Then things began to change. The sun came out, the beaches weren't too bad and the place and it's residents were all a little bit crazy, and so I began to be charmed. When I say crazy, what place do you get a load of grown men dressed up in the blazing heat in demon costumes covered in bells going around whipping people? Bocas del Toro! Yes, it seems that this is the crazy local custom. I don't really see the point to it; people whipping the shit out of each other (unless your a dominatrix) but the locals love it and it does provide some good if not usual evening entertainment. The only people that don't agree seem to be the local cops who come and break it up every night, only for the demons to start whipping again as soon as they are gone, and then the police come back and break it up again and so begins the crazy cycle. Watch the video I filmed of some of the stupidity. Great!



The best nights always happen when you least expect them. I had nearly finished reading my book "If this is a man" by Primo Levi , about a holocaust survivor ( I know I'm so cheery!) and really wanted to exchange it at the hostel, but with Heike our land lady being German I wasn't sure how this would go down, so when Angus told me he had found a book shop, we both went for a look. The book shop itself was kind of disappointing with titles only my nan would read, but as we looked through the shelves we heard a booming voice from behind us; "Do want a beer while your browsing"? Me and Angus looked at each other; why the hell not we thought! The booming voice and the bookshop belonged to an American called Dave, along with his wife Nancy who had the dirtiest laugh. Dave's shop motto was drinking and thinking. Now as I love both drinking and reading I loved Dave's ethics, though I can't say much reading went on as we just drunk beer all night and got drunk, and every night after that in fact. Borders is was not but maybe if Borders had employed Dave's motto they might have not gone bust! I do love a good character and it turns out Dave was one of life's very big characters. He had sold everything he owned in the states and moved to Bocas to open up a book store which really didn't make any money but he didn't care as long as he was having a good time; he refuses to speak Spanish, thinks all the locals are stupid; thinks nearly all Americans are thick as shit including himself and has about three love children scattered around the globe. I know! He sounds awful, but actually he was great and very entertaining and in the short time we knew him, me Angus became very fond of him, but all things come to an end and it was time for us to leave. Well actually it should of ended a day early if me and Angus hadn't got so drunk and ended up crawling home in the early hours of the morning, thus not getting up and missing our bus to Panama city. I blame Dave! Maybe I should of done more thinking than drinking!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment