Thursday 19 April 2012

INTRODUCING MR & MRS MILLS


I don't remember the exact moment that Claire Collins came into my life. She filtered in like so many people do, but unlike so many that have filtered out again, she has remained and has now become part of my close circle of friends. What I do remember though, that from the start Claire was confident, intelligent, funny and was probably one of the most creative people I have ever met. She was the year below me at uni, but started hanging out with our year quite a bit (we were the best year ever!) and that , was that. She has been with us ever since.
I've lived with Claire three and a half times during her years in London (the half is when I was saving to go traveling and was homeless, so just stayed in people's beds who weren't around or spooned Claire)! For a couple of years we shared good times; fun times; and wild times together. I think we only ever fell out once. She moved out of the house we shared together in Ealing to move to pastures new. I didn't want her to leave and took it as rejection and me being me on this type of thing, I didn't deal with the situation very well, and detached myself. Luckily she forgave me and I followed in her path and moved in with her again 2 years later to the Warehouse.
It was one day, during her time in the warehouse that Claire made a surprise announcement to me.
"I'm going to move back to Birmingham and move in with Chris!"
"BIRMINGHAM!" I said in shock.
I knew Claire was from Birmingham, but really, " Birmingham!"
Claire had not long got back together with her on and off sweet heart, Chris, and this all seemed like one big U-turn, from her great life in London.
If I'm truthful at first I thought she was making a huge mistake, but as time went on, I realised I was wrong and that Claire's great life in London hadn't been so great. Why? Because it wasn't what she wanted anymore.
I think it was about a year later, I received a phone call from her.
"Guest what? I'm pregnant Bonita!"
It took a moment to sink in for me. Claire was pregnant!; Claire who did wild things; Claire who would say dirty things; Claire the career girl. I couldn't quite take it in, it seemed strange. Then again it didn't. Claire had always had a motherly side to her. In fact, even though she was younger than me, I always felt like Claire had looked after me in some way, shape or form (though to be fair I have that effect on a lot of people, I think)?
Six months later Stanley was born. I'll come straight out with it, I don't really like babies! They look wrinkly, cry a lot, smell and don't really get interesting until the age of three upwards (well that's just my opinion) but I love Stanley. He's calm and happy but maybe that has a lot to do with his parents, who radiate that towards him.
And so the other week I found myself at another mile stone in their lives: Their wedding and a amazing event it was. It was a great excuse to catch up with out friends; sleep in a Tipee (actually I was meant to, but you know I get cold easily, their was no hot shower, and I kept passing out by the fire in the cottage where everyone else was staying!); drink too much and dress like the lady that I am? Claire is the queen of vintage (God do I know it? When we lived together her room use to over flow with charity shop finds), so it was a stylish affair. The brides maids dresses were from vintage shops, flowers brilliantly done by my mum and sister (their florists) and the entertainment provided my a huge arrayof characters that fill Claire and Chris's life. A great wedding and may your happy journey through life together continue, Mr & Mrs Mills and Stanley. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment