Monday 30 April 2012

THE RUBY PRINCESS BRIDE


I'm going to tell you a story. Don't worry it's a nice story. It's about a girl named Becky Brown, or as we like to call her the Ruby Princess. Becky always believed in true love, but on this journey of the heart she took the same knocks and blows like everyone, but unlike some of us who have become  cynical  with these set backs (I include myself in this category) the Ruby Princess always believed she would find her Mr Darcey; her Mr right. 


The way her Mr right came into her life, is a tale of of chance and seizing the opportunity. The Ruby Princess was living the life of a single girl in London (Or as I like to call it running the gauntlet), when she moved into a new flat a the Holloway road with our friend Mike. There was a room that needed to be filled, and so the interview process for a new room mate ensued. A couple of days later she came round to Oslo house and joined me and Debs for a girly get together on the roof terrace as the sun was shining. She seemed troubled. 
"I have a problem?" she said
"What?" we exclaimed
"We met this great guy, who interviewed for the flat and he's seems really lovely. There is one problem! I really fancy him!"
I think we talked for an hour or more about Bec's situation. She had decided, not to let him move in, for it would be dangerous to let a guy you fancied become your room mate (all sorts of complications). She was going to ring him to tell him he had not been successful. The only problem was, did she tell him the reason why? I remember clearly her pucking up the courage to make this decision. Eventually she went off down the end of the roof terrace to make that fateful phone call. She told him the truth with the words "I'm dangerous attracted to you." The rest is history, and now a couple of years later i find myself at their wedding.I took a picture of her making that phone call, that changed her life. I would put on this blog but it's stored in my hard drive and as I'm computer illiterate, I can't get to it. Maybe one day I'll send it to them. I remember looking at it though some time later and thinking, what if she never told him the real reason why he couldn't move in; what if she just said "It's a no"; maybe he would never said he fancied her as well; maybe they would have gone their separate ways in life; or maybe, just maybe it was their fate.
I look at them now together and you can see they truly love each other. They are each others soul mates. They are most importantly best friends, because  relationships are not just based on lust, there has to be something more than that. You have to like the person, to want to be with them always. I see nick and Becky growing old together and always being happy.
I look on them with envy. I have not found my soulmate yet, maybe I never will, maybe I let him slip through my fingers, or maybe I have and just don't know it yet.
My dad gave me the best piece of advice recently, when I had taken another knock and a blow:
" A relationship, whether it is one of friendship or love is based on respect. If the other person does not give back, what the other person puts in, it will always be unbalanced and will never work. It means that person doesn't respect you enough, and so does not deserve to be in your life. A relationship is all based on respect."
As much as it hurt hearing this, his words rang true, and it was more meaningful coming from my father, as he will be the first to admit, he has broken these rules in the past.
Maybe I need some fate to bring Mr Right to me too?  
Congratulations Mr & Mrs McKindoe.












Here is some of the music from the Cornish band at the wedding.  Amazing I danced all night!

1 comment:

  1. Awwww Carly, what a lovely blog post. Brought a tear to my eye, I'm sure Bex is bawling her eyes out!!!

    ReplyDelete