Sunday 23 October 2011

THE LAST DAYS OF SUMMER, OR IS IT?

The other week I sat on the roof terrace, watching the last rays of the sunset on the hottest day in October in over a 100 years. This was, because, I told myself at the time, the last proper sun I would see for months. I felt a pain of sadness take over me, like saying goodbye to some close friend. The summer was gone I told myself as the sun vanished behind the buildings and my enemy the winter was coming ( I hate the cold)!
The winter set in, the nights appeared earlier and my unemployment was a continual worry, but the thing about this industry is, how quickly things change, you never know what is going to happen next. I went from low's of despair to all the buses coming at once, in the space of a week. I got a phone call to do a day working on a film, which turned into me working on it a week. During this time though I received a very surprising phone call. I was sat on set freezing once again, feeling I'd had a enough of the British winter already, when I answered the call.
"Hello, is that Carly?"
"Yes it is."
"Hi I'm a costume designer and someone recommended me to you. Are you available, I need someone to come and work with me as soon as possible."
"Well I'm booked till Friday, but after that I'm free" I replied.
"Great! So I need you to get on a plane to Morocco at the weekend."
"Morocco!" I'm in shock.
"Yes Morocco. Is that a problem?"
"No!" I'm still in shock.
"Good. We are filming in the desert at Ouarzazate for two weeks, then we go out to the coast at Essaouira. Do you know it?"
"Yes!"
"Good. Right I'll give the office your number. See you in Morocco."
So I now find myself sat at Luton airport getting ready to board a plane to Marrakech. I'm excited, but nervous, as I haven't got a clue what the next couple of weeks has in store for me. All I know is, it's going to be an experience, good or bad! I've got a feeling there are going to be some good blog posts from this! It looks like my summer isn't over after all. Winter can stay on hold for a bit. Morocco here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment