Thursday 17 January 2008

The waiting Game


I have ventured north to the retreat, that I call my parents house.  I believe that it must be one of the best retreats in the world.  Upon your arrival you have your bags taken from your car and placed in your room, which has fresh linen on the bed and is heated ready for your arrival.  You then proceed to the dinning area  where you can chose where you wished to be seated.  My favorite option is usually the sofa with a tray in front of the TV. Also available is a free laundry service, free taxi service,free internet and a multi media system ie sky plus.  I just really can't understand why I keep coming back here when I am in need of comfort, or when I need to save some penny's?  
I have less than two weeks now till I go away but it feels like an age!  To be fair the whole of January has felt like an age!  I have not worked at all and I don't expect to be hearing the phone ring before I go.  I feel like I have not worked in an age.  In fact I do believe this is the longest period I have had without employment.  It feels kind of weird, a constant guilt in fact.  I feel like an idle, lazy person when I'm not working, like one of those dole people.  I have been brought up with my mums attitude of you have to work for everything in this life and sitting around on your ass, is not acceptable.
To make up for the lack of work recently, I have amerced myself in the arts.  Well I say that, but it really means I have been to the cinema a lot, an art gallery once and read a few mags.  Oh!  actually I did do something very grand, I went to the Royal Opera House and watched La Traviata.  Ok, so I don't normally go and watch opera, but it was free and I did really enjoy, even though I couldn't understand a word they were saying and Violetta (the heroine) did have the longest drawn out death in history.  From a visual point of view it was amazing.  The opera House really does everything to the highest standards.  Well apart from the set of act two  which was like one of those bad make overs on changing rooms, with its sky blue sponge wall and cheap look finish.  I did annoy everyone for days afterwards, harping on about that matter of the set.
I think I will spend a week up here, maybe more as I don't want to go back to London till the last minute as it just seems to drain you dry of any money you have.  I do feel bad leaving Jan alone, and I do miss him.  God! I'm getting soft in my old age.  

No comments:

Post a Comment