Sunday 22 February 2009

And the winner is....?

Being a costume assistant my career revolves around clothes and film, so these factors never come better together than on the red carpet at the Oscars. When I was growing up me and my sister would stay up late at night with a bag of pop corn watching all the starlets coming own the carpet in amazing or some times horrendous gowns. Me and Paula would have a note pad and mark the costumes out of ten. Unfortunately the Oscars aren't shown on the BBC and I don't have Sky television, so i have to make do by watching GMTV the next morning, which sucks. Maybe its a good thing as I would never get up for work the next morning. Anyway this is my round up of 2009 Oscar dresses.

Lets start with this years Oscar golden girl Miss Kate Winslet. Kate at the moment is looking hot. She as really grown into herself as she has got older. Its so good to see a woman getting sexier as she gets older, especially in this youth obsessed culture. She has been wearing some great outfits recently, so I have to say I was slightly disappointed with this YSL choice. I don't hate it (My designer Howard really hated it!) but I don't love it either. It would be much better without the fussy net detail, which is not very flattering. She should have gone down the road she took at the 2002 and Oscars in a beautiful red Ben De Lisi dress which is still one of my Oscar favourites.




Next up is new girl on the blog Freida Pinto, the star of the film "Slum dog Millionaire." Pinto has been doing the award circuit in a choice of gowns that for me have been slightly dodgy and this John Galliano one fell for me in to that category. It looks like she is wearing a sling! Enough said. Angelina Jolie once again played it safe in this classy black number from Elie Saab, but to be fair you could put her in a bin bag and she would still look great.



Marisa Tomei wore this very dramatic Versace dress carrying it off very well without it looking over the top. Beyonce once again got it wrong with this House of dereon dress designed by her mother which looked like she was about to bust out of it. One word advice beyonce: "Stop letting your mother dress you!"

SJP took some of her sex and the city kookiness to the red carpet in this vintage style Dior dress which I just love. It looks like its just off the New look catwalk.

Surprisingly my favourite dress was Evan Rachel woods by Elie Saab. For me it's old school Hollywood Glamour with a slight modern twist. I would give anything to wear this dress any day even to supermarket if I had the chance.

So that is my options on this years Oscars but I will leave you with my favourite Oscar dresses through out the years.






No comments:

Post a Comment