Tuesday 26 April 2011

HOLY



I can't say I'm a religious person. I only go to church for Christenings, weddings, funerals or Christmas eve when my mother decides she wants to feel really festive and drags all to sing carols at the local one; but even she, hasn't done that in a while. All that said I wouldn't say I'm an atheist. I like to believe that everyone I have ever loved and lost has gone to a better place and there is something after this life; it makes it easier to deal with their loss. What this place might be; I don't know?



I actually find religion quite fascinating (am I allowed to say that with out looking like a complete bible basher)? Especially the Catholic religion. I know it's a religion full of self flagellation, guilt, tortured looking statues and kiddy fiddling priests, but it appeals to my morbid side. Anyway I always wanted to be a Catholic as a child, as I liked the thought of going into a box and confessing all my sins to a priest (though these days I don't think there would be enough hell Marys to justify my wrong doings)?



With no cadburys chocolate Easter eggs to stuff my face with this year, I needed something else to get me in the Easter spirit. So me, Eva and Tanja, headed from Chile to the hills of northern Argentina to a little town call Tilcara, which is well know in South America for it's Easter celebrations. Now I have traveled a lot and in that time I have stayed in many hostels. Some good, some bad, but the hostel I have stayed in here, in Tilcara, I think has to be my favourite ever! Why? Well it's not like a hostel. It's more like staying at your friends house, and you have got all your mates there as well and all you do is chillax, chat and drink lots of good wine. The owners, two young guys from Buenos Aires are so laid back, if they were anymore so, they would be dead. Sounds like my heaven. Well actually it is, that's why I have stayed there nearly a week instead of the two days I thought, I was only going to do.



Now I have been traveling for 4 months and I haven't met many females traveling on their own. I thought I was the only one at times Well I've now realised the reason for this is because they all seem to be holed up in Casa Los Molles (thats the name of my hostel in Tilcara). Yes the place just seems to be full of lone women travellers! In fact Carly's tip of the day for guys is to get your ass there as you are out numbered 8 to 1, by women! The really good thing is I have made some really good friends here too. There is Lucy Robinson, who is also a fellow blogger, though in a much better league as she is a blogger an Marie Claires website, in fact I have a mention in her latest post (famous or what)! She is also a novelist and is out here writing her second novel, I find her very inspirational. Then there is Holly another Brit, who at 21 gives me back my faith in the young of England after it was smashed by the pea heads. Finally there is Anna from Germany who learnt English in Sunderland and now speaks with a Geordie, German accent which I think is great. Together we make a good group and don't think the small town of Tilcara know what's hit it with when Los rubia gringas walk around.



We took over the dorm and it would have been completely womanised if it hadn't been for the middle aged Spanish man that occupied one of the bunks. I was a bit disgusted by him at first as he snored a lot and didn't come home till the early hours of the morning. For a man of his age, me and Rosie automatically thought he must being going to some brothels or something. It turns out he's also a writer and writes to the early hours of the morning. It's funny that I still keep referring to the guy that could be Spains leading novelist, as the man that woke me from my sleep because he farted so loudly ( four bloody times: So WRONG)!



So let's get back to the reason why we were in Tilcara: Easter! We arrived in time for the Wednesday which we heard was the biggest parade of the weeks proceedings, with all the villagers marching down from the mountains; marching down with 3000 panpipes that is, as Rosie informed us. Now this wouldn't be a problem if Tanja hadn't told us the day before, that the worst sound in the world to her, was the sound of PANPIPES. You should of seen her face drop. At first I couldn't really see what Tanja's problem was, with pan pipes, but after sitting on a hill for three hours listening to hundreds going by, giving out the most awful unrhythmic sound ever, I agreed with her entirely.




The next night was the procession of the virgin and yes, that's right more bloody PANPIPES. Still, I decided to brave it, as I don't think it's a real Easter parade, with out a good virgin. I also got on everyones nerves a lot by singing like a Virgin by Madonna, which probably wasn't very appropriate at all.



The celebrations continued through out the rest of Easter, which basically meant panpipes 24/7. I did start to wonder how they all kept going and if any of them actually died due to loss of breath. In fact I did google to see if I could find out how many people died of Panpipe fatalities in south America a year, but didn't have any luck, so if anyone knows I would be very interested to know.



Im now traveling on my own again, which seems strange after nearly a month with Tanja and Eva and having the most amazing week in Tilcara with the girls, but once again I knew the rules: You always have to say goodbye. Actually this time it's not goodbye. I know I have made some real friends and I will see them again in this life. Anyway it's time to start a new chapter. This one will be called the final leg. Next stop Mendoza, after a 18 HOUR bus journey!







OBSERVATIONS

* Argentineans are so chilled, they even take their dogs to bars with them. You can be watching a band and there are just dogs everywhere. Love it!

* I'm sick of being chatted up by horny middle aged Latino America men. All the time; sat at dinner; walking in the street and on the bus. I know I'm in the next age bracket these days but if I'm going to be chatted up, can it be by someone that's hot and not old enough to be my dad!

* I've finally found a south American food I love. EMPANADAS! I'm addicted!

* I'm the clumsiest person alive! Yesterday I managed to punch some poor Argentinean taxi driver in the nose as I put my backpack on, and busted it. Its a horrible feeling standing there while some guy is holding his nose and you think you have broke it. Luckily I didn't, it was just a bit bruised! I gave him a big tip.

* A lot of South Americans seem to have some terrible face piercings.

* I've actually got a lot on my mind at the moment, but even with that, the other day in Tilcara I was sat there and realised I was the happiest I have been in along time. Nothing else really matters after that. It's a good feeling.

* I got in trouble again by being the animal lover that I am, by letting the hostel's cat Lucca into the dormitory, and let him sleep on my bed. It appears most of the girls are allergic. There was a lot if sneezing going on. Oophs!



1 comment:

  1. Religion is indeed fascinating! I like your videos as well...Daniel

    ReplyDelete