Thursday 7 February 2008

Paradise syndrome

A couple of days before I set out on this trip I went to meet friends in Ealing for goodbye drinks. It was not a great surprise to me, that they were all running late (you know who you are!) So, I didn't look like a total loser and to avoid any eye contact with the sleazy old drunk beside me at the bar, I acted cool and grabbed a stool and pulled out the Eveing standard magazine which
I had found lying around on the tube. As to waste as much time as possible I started reading every article on every page, which consisted of the same old rubbish, make-up, fashion, who's cool about town. It wasn't till I reached the end when I saw a article called "Paradise Syndrome" that something finally caught my interest. The piece went on to say that people today are bored of paradise. You see they get on their lovely remote exotic beach with lovely weather and food, in their nice huts, but all they seem to do is be texting back home or emailing to see how everyone else is doing. They then proceed to read an national paper that they have searched around for in a shop, and go and watch some western movies and premier football at night. "What a stupid article" I thought to myself, "nobody could ever be bored of paradise." Finding myself in "paradise" this week I have made a great effort not to conform to any of the symptons of the sydrome. I turned my phone off and refused to use the internet, but then I thought, how was I going to write my blog, surely my blog can't count as giving in. After a couple of days I had to turn my phone on, just in case of any important news from home, I had to be allowed that. Then I had a couple of drinks one night and Man U were playing Spurs. I was all relaxed so it would have been wrong not to have watched it and then we watched the last king of Scotland after that as there was nothing else to do in "paradise!" In truth its my last day here tomorrow on the beautiul sandy beaches of Koh Samet, and you know what I'm glad, as I am bored now. It maybe some peoples paradise and it was mine for a couple of days but I need more adventure than lazing around on a beach. My paradise is something different. So stick it "Paradise syndrome" up your ass!

OBSERVATIONS

* Russian woman are easy to spot as they wear very tight light denim 80's style hotpants that give them camels hoof!

* Thai women can still manage walking on the beach in kiten heels.

* I am now sleeping properley again. It was not insomnia!

* Jan is eating twice as much as he does in England. Might have to buy him two seats on the plane.

1 comment:

  1. rwrhi darling don'tworry paradise will be shattered very soon . We the clan are on our way . Mayhem awaits you and Jan . See you very soon love you loads Mum and gang

    ReplyDelete