Monday 11 February 2008

RETURN OF THE MOPED, THE ARRIVAL OF THE CLAN


In Asia you learn quickly that it is best not to look out the window when in a car or a bus.  You would only give yourself a heart attack, as they drive like a madmen.  This rule is a little harder to apply when on the back of  a moped.  Those of you who know my history with mopeds will know that we don't go together to well.  After Jan finished reading his book on Gangs in Britain, something else was needed to occupy him, so we hired a moped for the day.  The roads on Koh Samet are more like dirt tracks so it made for a bumpy ride.  It was all going well until Jan lost control and we were heading towards a bush.  I closed my eyes and for a split second all that went through my head was, cuts, bruising, ambulance, hospital, needle, stitches again!  I opened my eyes, to find that luckily we had got lodged in the bush which had stopped the bike from going over.  Thank you God!
We are now in Bangkok again and my family have now arrived.  I have spent half my life thinking what an ordinary background I have come from and that I wished I was from more interesting roots.  It is only in the last couple of years that I have come to realize that all my family are actually mad, especially when they are all together, and especially when they are abroad in a hot country (the heat sends them more insane)!  The last time we went away together as a family was more than 10 years ago so the arrival of the clan has had quite an impact.  I have had two days with them so far and I'm exhausted!  We went to the grand palace the other day which was mental and also took bloody ages to get from one spot to the other as there are so many of us.  I felt like a herder gathering their flock, especially with the two Nan's, Lil and Margaret.  We have also Yuko's mum with us who doesn't speak any English and we speak no Japanese.  So all in all it makes for an interesting time.  Well only one more week of it, then we probably have gone insane!  Actually there are more clan still coming for in a couple of days for the wedding.  Oh, Lord, have mercy on us!
Took Lil to see her brother's grave the other day at the Bridge on the River Kwai.  He went off to war when she was fourteen and she never saw him again.  He was twenty eight.  Lil has wanted to go since the 1950's.  So we had to take her.   Me, Jan and Paula took up the task.  We went on the local bus which she enjoyed lots and then took a Tuk Tuk which she enjoyed even more. She does not do bad for a seventy eight year old.  I had found his grave three years before when I was last here and was quite sure where it was among the 6,000 graves.  Of course when we get there I am totally wrong and we then spent the next hour in roasting sun searching all the graves.  We eventually found him and laid some flowers.  Lil had a little cry, though she tried not to let anyone see.  She's not very good at things like that.
Its Jan's birthday today.  He said we have do everything he wants today. Well, that's nothing bloody new is it!

OBSERVATIONS

* Lil has swollen feet from the plane but still manages to walk round the whole of Bangkok with high heels on.

* When my brother Darren said something is just round the corner it actually means a good half hour trek.

* Jan and Paula are in competition to see who can be the biggest brat.

* I want a dog.  We went to the weekend market and me and Paula went mad for all the little puppies.  

1 comment:

  1. Ahahaha I can only imagine what is going on over there!!! I wish i could see but id have to be on constant portable oxygen as id b laughing so hard...im telling you, you all should have pitched the idea to channel 4 before you left..coz it would be the funniest reality documentary to EVER be seen! lol.. So princess is being a brat?? hmm....cant imagine that.. ;) haha Pleeeease keep these blogs coming Carls coz they r a great source of entertainment..! Take care on ur travels mrs love u lots xxxx p.s please tell paula to be careful to not to exceed her baggage allowance on the way home... :-S hahaha xxx

    ReplyDelete