Saturday 22 November 2008

SOME TIMES IT HARD TO BE A WOMAN....


Indian is not the easiest of countries to travel at the best of times, so being a single, white, blonde woman makes it ten times worse. Its the constant staring which is the most annoying thing and then there is the accidental brushing past which usually happens to be located in the breast or arse area. I just slap their hands now and shout "Your a very bad man!", really loud which embrassess them in front of everyone. I thought about dying my hair dark but remembered the last time I tried and it went green at the roots and there was also that time I literally dyed it red for the red ball at uni (I know how original) and it wouldn't wash out, just went pink, so I thought better about that idea. Instead I decided to buy myself a Salwar Kameez, which is the traditional dress like tunic and trouser combo with the dupatta (long scarfe). Yes I do look like a complete idiot and like one of those "I'm going to become just like the natives" type people, who I hate, but I really don't care as the percentage of "brushing" has reached zero when I wear it. Also they are actually really cool and comfortable and I have decided to make the tunic into a mini dress when I get home and will make the neck line lower too. So it will be a Slag Salwar Kameez. Brilliant!
Went to see the Taj Mahal today. I always worry when you go and see something you have wanted to see for a long time and its a real dissapointment (The Statue of Liberty was tiny and crap)! It was not so this time. It is more beautiful in reality than the pictures you see. It has a another worldly quality about it, something so perfect that it does not look real. Of course there were shit loads of tourists there doing the thing that they do best: taking photos of everything and anything. I joined in my striking my Princess Di pose in front of the Taj and let Faye and Eddie (a nice English couple I have been hanging around with) take the picture, much to to the amusement of the Indians who looked a bit bemused by it. Well a least it was a change from them perving at me.
I'm moving on to Jaipur tomorrow and into the state of Rajasthan which is full of history, so you can imagine how excited I am. I think I have to miss out Varanasi as I do not have enough time, which is a bit gutting. Never mind. Next time.

OBSERVATIONS

* I do not seem to have had, one decent nights sleep since I've been in Indian due to the fact there is always seems to be someone next door to me, yaking up something like there dying and some dogs barking and mauling each other to death outside.

* All the men keep asking me if I'm married, so I have started to tell them I'm engaged to get them off my backs. Then they ask when the wedding is. Jan better get working hard as I have told them its after christmas.

* Its official I have had a curse put on me, by Indians version of the lady boy (the Hijaras). They are eunchs that are believed to bring good luck. They go round asking for money for it. If you do not give them any, they curse you, as I found out when I refused to give them 10 ruppes so they pinched my cheek and cursed me. To which my response was "Am I bothered!" I am a little bit though as last time we were in India Becky B cursed the gods and got a noise and eye infection in return.

* I seem to have mice following me every where as one decided to invite itself into my room last night. I went to get the guesthouse owner who had a "I can't be arsed!" search while eating a samosa, then said "No mouse!" and just left. So I thought guess thats, that then! Off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment