Saturday 18 July 2009

OSTRICH EGG!


As a moving in present, our latest housemate, Alex decided that we could eat her ostrich egg that she had been saving for such an occasion! Its not like you can go and buy these eggs down at Tesco's; they are pretty hard to get. Alex got hers from some swanky shop in Chelsea. It actually looked really beautiful in its box and even to touch ( it feels a bit like porcelain). Well it was nice until they started to cook the bloody thing! Anyone who knows me well, will know that I have some funny phobia's of food (Sandwiches probably being the worst!) I'm not very good with eggs either. I can eat them but I have to like the look of them ( there are no rules or guide lines to my food phobia, its just the way it is!) The thing took over an hour in the oven and stank like a big boiled egg would do after that long cooking. Now if you think you open an ostrich egg by knocking the top off with a spoon you would be wrong. Opening one is liking getting into Fort Knox. After the bread knife and the hammer and chisel did not work, Angus proceeded to dress like a terrorist bomber and use the electric saw disk to open it! With much effort and what seemed like forever he managed open it. Looking inside the giant egg, I saw a giant yolk , and with the smell which was now mixed with the odour of burning from the saw, the whole thing made me want to heave! It was that bad i could not look at it and I refused to eat with the rest at the dining table, preferring to eat on my own in the corner. I only went up for celebratory champagne (Couldn't miss that bit!) after I forced them to cover up the remains. The boys told me I was being dramatic to which I told them to piss off! The feeling was so bad that even the next day at work I had bad flashbacks to it that still made me feel sick. So if you are ever having a dinner party with ostrich egg on the menu, don't bother inviting me, I won't be coming!




No comments:

Post a Comment