Saturday 15 August 2009

STANDON CALLING


After the disaster that was Bestival (Or mudville as I like to call it!) last year I said I was not going to waste any of my hard earned cash on going to festivals this year. So when my housemates told me about a small boutique festival called Standon Calling in Hertfordshire I was hardly enthusiastic about, but after a little persuasion (It never takes that much with me!) I thought sod it and I'd take my chances with the English summertime. Luckily this time it was not a wash out. In fact it was the best festival I have been to. It maybe small but as we all know its not the size but the quality. It was so nice not having to try and not wet yourself while waiting forever to go to the toilet. It was great to wander off (which I have a tendency to do!) and know that you would find your friends again, but the best bit was getting up close to the bands and really feeling part of it. VV Brown, Paloma Faith, and Friendly Fires were some of the highlights (actually Friendly Fires were a bit crap!). My favourite band though were the Fabulous Penetrators who I've seen before in Catch bar in Hoxton, which was a crazy gig and came away from it with a bruised ankle and nearly their mascot tiger until they caught me and Jade with it! Oophs! Actually they didn't bring the tiger this time because they said that people kept trying to nick it! I drunkenly informed them that, that was me!
What was not so good was getting really drunk on the first night and kissing some guy that looked like a cross between David Essex and a terrorist bomber and ending up with the name FIGHT SNOG due to our feisty exchange. The housemates still keep calling it me and I bloody hate it! To make things worse I realised when sober that I had, had total beer googles when I saw him the next day at the pool (God who was so hairy! Like a bear!) I spent the rest of weekend avoiding him, but he just kept appearing from nowhere, much to amusement of my mates.
Lets get to the most important bit. The festival fashion! Of course I had the loyal Hunter wellies. So I geeked up, in a Where's wally style on the first night and someone stole my lucky hat right off my head but I was too drunk to react. Bastard! Me and that hat have been through a lot together.

Then Saturday was fancy dress day, with the theme being Space!. As mentioned in my previous post I had my supermodel dress which I teamed with a wasp belt which was very Tron like from Topshop and finished it off with silver sequin converse from Primark at the great price of £2 (though I do have the odd guilt trip over child labour!)

The last day I wore my brand new polka dot Dahlia dress which I love so much. Unfortunatley I have realised this is not the best dress to wear in windy conditions, as it blew up and I ended exposing myself to the whole of the festival on a few occassions. At least I was wearing some good knickers!

As for the others Ssam coped very well with her first festival and the her first time in the countryside (This girl has been in England 6 years!). She did have the odd relaspe of wanting CSI and concrete around her, but we will forgive her for that. Though she did say that she will never go into the countryside again!

Alex did very well also, keeping her clothes on for most of the time, apart from the posing in the Christian Dior bather and heels on the jeep and flashing us all, once, much to the horror of the family camping opposite. You see last year she did most of the festival wearing just a bikini and upstaged Jonny Woo during Gay Bingo by streaking across the stage! So all in all, it was the housemates normal behaviour. Bring on Standon again next year.













No comments:

Post a Comment