Tuesday 11 September 2012

SUGAR MAN

I was driving in the car the other week, when a song came on the radio.  I instantly fell in love with it and did my usual routine of shazaming the the tune, so I could find out its origins.  It came up as Sugar man by an artist called Rodriguez.  I had never heard of him before.  I went to down load his album when I realized it was called "Searching for Sugar Man: Original music from the motion picture." There's a movie I thought?  My detective work, then took me  You Tube, where I typed in "Searching for Sugarman" and this is what came up:

I have to go and see this film, I told myself.  I posted one of his songs on Face book.  My friend Kym left a comment, staying that she loved this guy and it reminded her of her youth, back in OZ where everyone would get stoned to his music.  I told her I'd never heard of him before. She said we had to go and see the film together, and a week later when I was back in London that's exactly what we did.
There are not a lot of good films to see these days I think.  They are ruined with visual effects, tired old stories, and little substance, that leave you with little belief and you come out the cinema feeling cheated or depressed.  Not this time.  I haven't seen a film in a long time that made me feel this good.  Its an amazing story, that I bet would uplift anyone that sees it.  I will never know why his albums were never a success, for me he is better than Dylan, who is now seen as a God in so many peoples eyes.  But maybe that is part of Rodriguez's charm, he is not a God but an ordinary man, who worked hard all his life, with none of the fine trappings that stardom brings.  It is this that makes his songs more real, and for me, more beautiful.  His album without a doubt has found a place in my heart in such a short time and I believe it will remain there forever as one of my favourites.

So I wanted to choose for you my favourite Rodriguez song, but it was impossible for me, because I love so many, so here are my top 3 instead.

SUGAR MAN


SANDREVAN LULLABY


A MOST DISGUSTING SONG
A Most Disgusting Song

No comments:

Post a Comment