Thursday 27 January 2011

LOST IN PARADISE

I have been lost in my own little world for a bit, and it has been very nice for the time it has lasted.  I forgot about everything and everyone back home for a while, and have lived here in my own little bubble.  It was like London and the life I had there did not exsist, like it was just some dream.  I even have my own little daily rountine.   I wake usual at 6.30 am, listen to my music in my bunk bed until 7.00am, then I changed into my bikini, put the sun cream on and head to the bar, where Julie serves me my usual hot ginger, lemon and honey, which Jeff usual nicks.  Sometimes I mix it up depending on my mood and have museli intsead of omelette (Crazy I know)!  I then walk to the beach usual with Thomas as he goes for his morning surf, or with Hannah if she can out of bed in time.  I lay basking in the rays until 11.30am, at which time I leave on my 4km walk to Spanish school (I'm getting very fit here), stopping off on the way for my usual pastry from Cafe de Paris where I practice my really bad Spanish with the guy behind the till.  I get to Spanish school, have a dip in the pool before lessons start and look over my very badly done home work.  I suffer for four hours in lessons and then get a ride home with Sylvia one of the teachers, back to Almost Paradise.  I shower change my clothes and then go and prop up the bar for the rest of the night, eating Stefans food of the day and talking to the regulars.  I feel like part of the furniture there these days.  So this has been my life for the last couple of weeks and I have been very happy with it, but the problem with bubbles is that they always burst and one day mine did a little.  Me and Thomas have been close now for a couple of weeks, to the point that people started  to refer to him as my boyfriend.  It felt weird.  What felt even weirder was I started to feel a little bit attached towards him.  This was not part of the plan.  I did not come here to get in a relationship with anyone.  Especially not Thomas.  He is very independant, a nomad, and wants no ties in life. He is also a big player.  I always knew that about him and have never expected anything from him.  I think we both freaked each other out.  I decided it was for the best to cut myself off from him and told him I just wanted to be friends.  He agreed.  It has changed us, which makes me sad.  The first couple of days, were uncomfortable, but things have got better and we are friends once again.  It did make me realise though that this little world I have here is not forever and I will be leaving soon for the road.  Its time to start taking my head out of the sand.
Its hard to get around here.  We are so cut off from everything, there is no real transport unless you have a car.  We have been trying to pimp Hannah out to men with cars so we have transport, which she suceeded with an American guy called Andrew for a bit, but then he pissed off back to the states.  So when, me and Thomas tried to hitch to go and see the baby Turtles at Ostional, and failed miserably as it was a Sunday morning, we decided to hire a quad bike.  Yes!  Quads are the way to get around here as the roads are so bad.  Only one problem is the dust on the roads.  You get covered.  Me and Thomas showed up at the bar for mulled wine night looking like chimney sweeps, which made Julie laugh alot as we sat there drinking our drinks covered from head to toe in dust. It didn´t help that Thomas also drove the quad like he was Micheal Schmacher, but I like a bit of danger; its more exciting.  We did get to see the turtles in the end (actually I bloody saw three times in the end) as we drove to them at first light getting Hannah on the quad with us.  We told Thomas he was very lucky to have a threesome on a quad with a blonde and burnette.  He just smiled.  It was worth it though to see hundreds of little baby turtles take their first steps into the world and head towards the sea.  It was so magical, until Thomas informed us that only one in a hundred make it!  Then the picture became more clear as vultures attacked them and bit their heads off, dogs ate them, the sea knocked them on to their backs and the hot sun drained the life out of them.  Magic turned into massacre and all this on a hangover after mulled wine night; not good!  Me and Hannah were sad.  Thomas was? Well just Thomas!  So couldn´t tell what the hell he thought. Just another day in Paradise, then.

OBSERVATIONS

* The howler monkeys round here are little bastards.  They like to shit or piss on people when they walk under the trees they are in, as I found out the other day on my way to Spanish school as one decided to shit on my arm.  God dam it!

* We had a bit of danger and excitement the other day in the hostel when Stefan found a snake in the foot path.  It turned out it was a fluer de Lance and if it bites you, you only have minutes to live.  So some one had to kill.  Andrew the American volunteered as I think he wanted to show off in front of Hannah.  He got a machete and chopped it into bits.   Which wasn´t to pleasant as I had just eaten!

*  The local supermarket does not sell water, beer, or much food, but there is always a vast supply of cocaine.  Not quite Sainsburys then!

*  The surfing is starting to get better.  It still bloody hurts though.

* I´m really shit at spanish.

*  I need to stop saying shit so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment